CAPTURING A MASTERPIECE
Submissions being accepted
September 5 - October 5, 2020
We invite members and visitors to submit their personal photographs of The Farmers’ Museum and Fenimore Art Museum for our new Capturing a Masterpiece Photo Contest. We ask that the photographs be taken at the museum between 9/5/20 – 10/5/20 and that they represent your love of the museums. It is a great opportunity to get outside and enjoy all that our beloved museums offer while having some fun being creative, all while socially distancing — and a chance to WIN some great prizes, too! PLUS, One winning entry from each museum will be placed on display during the Museum Members’ Showcase exhibition – Fenimore’s upcoming exhibition that celebrates our creative members. Acceptable photos include building exteriors, museum grounds, or our farm animals––no interior pictures please. Participants must be at least 18 years of age. Entries may be used in our social media and advertising.
The deadline for entries is Monday, October 5, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. The top ten finalists will be chosen from a panel of judges and will be announced October 12 on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, FenimoreArt.org and FarmersMuseum.org. ONE GRAND PRIZE winner and winners from each museum (two first, two second, and two third) will be chosen by the panel of judges. In addition, members of the community will be able to vote for the “People’s Choice Award.”
Eight total prizes will be awarded including one Grand Prize. (Each other prize level will have one winner from each museum–Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum)
- Grand Prize: A Sony Camera Package. This is a Sony Alpha 6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera with an interchangeable 16-50mm power zoom lens, a 24.3 megapixel sensor, and fully automatic and manual capability. The complete kit comes with two extra batteries and dual charger, 12” flexible tripod, 64GB SD memory card, lens filter set, and a camera bag.
- First Place: One-Year Sustaining Museum Membership — good for BOTH museums and MORE! The Fenimore Photo winner will also receive a private tour (up to four people) of our Manzanar: The Wartime Photographs of Ansel Adams exhibition in 2021. The Farmers’ Museum Photo winner will receive a private tour of the museum with our Education Director (Tour dates TBD and only applies when museum tours can resume.)
- Second Place: Eight museum admission tickets — Bring your entire family to enjoy a day at the museums!
- Third Place: A $50.00 gift certificate to our Museum Shops! Our shops are filled with unique treasures, including some great photography related items!
- People’s Choice Award – which is also quite grand: One-Year Sustaining Museum Membership — good for BOTH museums and MORE! Your choice of a private tour in 2021 (up to four people) with Paul D’Ambrosio, President and CEO (Tour date TBD and only applies when tours can resume). Eight museum admission tickets. A $50.00 gift certificate to our Museum Shops. Be sure to encourage others to VOTE!
- Photos will be judged on quality of the image taken, presentation, and the unique perspective of the photograph
- Photos are limited building exteriors, museum grounds and farm animals (Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum) - no interior photos please.
- Submissions are limited to 4 images per contestant
- Entrants must be 18 or older
- Upload your image to this site only
- Please do not include any copyrighted material in your submission. Any entries found to contain copyrighted material will be removed.
- Please do not put your name or logo on the actual image.
- If you would like to comment on the submissions, please be respectful and constructive.
All contest rules and information subject to change. All entrants must agree that their name (aka Member/visitor name) and images can be displayed and used for Fenimore Art Museum and/or The Farmers' Museum marketing and promotion without charge or copyright infringement, and that the images they upload are acceptable for public view. Photos added may also be displayed on Fenimoreart.org and Farmersmuseum.org and within the galleries, with credit given to the member/visitor. Employees of the Fenimore Art Museum are eligible to participate but cannot win the stated prizes – there will be a separate prize for the employee winner (prize TBD).