Fenimore

Fenimore Art Museum

Fenimore Art Museum Presents Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, a Major Traveling Exhibition

Press Release Contact: 

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y., April 1, 2008—The Fenimore Art Museum, Cooperstown, New York, is pleased to present Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, a major exhibition organized by the American Folk Art Museum, New York, that tells the story of a little-known aspect of American carousel history and its connection to Jewish visual culture. The exhibition will be on view May 24 through September 1, 2008 at the Fenimore Art Museum.

The exhibition traces, for the first time, the journey of Jewish woodcarvers and papercut artists from Eastern and Central Europe to America. Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses highlights the unsung role these artisans played in establishing a distinct Jewish culture in communities throughout the United States and provides a surprising revelation of the link that was forged between the immigrant Jewish woodcarvers and the American carousel industry. Many of the artisans who arrived in America between the 1880s and 1920s carved for their local synagogues; some also found work creating horses and other animals for the flourishing carousel industry. Inspired by the memory of symbolic references carved into majestic Torah arks and gravestones and cut into paper, they translated these motifs into an American idiom, elevating carousel art into a powerful sculptural expression of dynamic and animated forms.

The exhibition brings together extraordinary examples of majestic synagogue carvings—gilded lions, Decalogues, crowns and eagles as well as intricate papercuts—juxtaposed against dynamic carousel figures created for the great amusement parks of Coney Island and elsewhere. Featuring more than 100 artworks, drawn from private and public collections in the United States, Eastern Europe and Israel, the exhibition tells the story of this fascinating aspect of Jewish and American visual culture.

Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses was organized by Murray Zimiles, guest curator, and coordinated by Stacy C. Hollander, senior curator and director of exhibitions at the American Folk Art Museum.

Guest Curator Murray Zimiles is the author of the fully illustrated 192-page companion book, Gilded Lions And Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, co-published by the American Folk Art Museum with Brandeis University Press, an imprint of the University Press of New England. Zimiles is an artist and Kempner Distinguished Professor at SUNY Purchase, where he has taught drawing and printmaking since 1977. In addition, please visit the exhibition website at gildedlions.org, which was conceptualized by George Blumenthal and funded by The Center for Online Judaic Studies, Inc.

Major support for the exhibition and accompanying book was provided by Michael Steinhardt; Kekst and Company; the David Berg Foundation; the Blanche and Irving Laurie Foundation; the Smart Family Foundation; the Philip and Muriel Berman Foundation, Allentown, Pennsylvania; the Betty and John A. Levin Fund; the Robert Lehman Foundation; the Nathan Cummings Foundation; the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts; and the New York Council for the Humanities, a state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of folk and American art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

###

For more information and images, please contact:
Christine Liggio/Public Relations Office
Fenimore Art Museum/ New York State Historical Association
Phone: (607) 547-1472/E-mail: c.liggio@nysha.org

Press Release Category: 
Exhibition Press Releases
Publication Date: 
March 2008
Site: 

Selections from Fenimore's Premier Folk Art Collection are Showcased in American Memory: Recalling the Past in Folk Art

Press Release Contact: 

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y., April 1, 2008—Selections of folk art from the permanent collection of Fenimore Art Museum are featured in American Memory:  Recalling the Past in Folk Art, on view through December 31, 2008.

“This exhibition is organized in two sections that examine visual histories. National History explores the varied ways folk artists express national events. Personal History examines depictions of individuals, memories and experiences,” said Murdock, Curator of Exhibitions for the Fenimore Art Museum.  “Today, these artworks serve as documents of national society and the lives of the artists.”

Folk artists express through their art the events – ordinary and extraordinary – that have shaped their lives and communities. Through the process of creating, folk artists make a permanent record of their cultural ideals, experiences, and community heritage. This exhibition examines 19th- and 20th-century representations of memory in historical and personal folk art.

Memorial paintings, scenes of everyday life, quilts, woodcarvings, and other artifacts will be on exhibit in the Main Gallery at the museum. Among the most noted include “Columbia,” artist unidentified, ca. 1858, “Applique Quilt” by Anna Putney Farrington, ca. 1825-1911, and “Whig Political Banner,” ca. 1840 by Terence J. Kennedy.

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of American folk and fine art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

###

For more information and images, please contact:
Christine Liggio/Public Relations Office
Fenimore Art Museum/ New York State Historical Association
Phone: (607) 547-1472/E-mail: c.liggio@nysha.org

Press Release Category: 
Exhibition Press Releases
Publication Date: 
March 2008
Site: 

Fenimore Art Museum to Present a Major Retrospective on the Work of Earl Cunningham

Press Release Contact: 

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y., April 1, 2008—The Fenimore Art Museum, Cooperstown, New York, will present Earl Cunningham’s America, an exhibition featuring the paintings of one of the premier folk artists of the 20th century, Earl Cunningham (1893-1977). This national traveling exhibition, organized by the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C., will be on view September 27 through December 31, 2008.

This retrospective, accompanied by a fully illustrated catalog, presents the artist as a folk modernist who used the flat space and brilliant color to create sophisticated compositions with complex meanings about the nature of American life. The exhibition features 50 of the more than 400 canvasses Cunningham painted during his lifetime. The exhibition and the fully illustrated catalog trace the story of Cunningham’s life and place his work in the context of the folk art revival that brought Edward Hicks, Grandma Moses, Horace Pippin and other folk masters to national attention.  

Cunningham’s imaginary landscapes are marvels of the unexpected and unlikely: pink flamingos dot the shoreline of the Maine coast; New England cottages sit at the edge of Florida swamps; Viking ships float in harbors with schooners; Seminole Indians wear feathered headdresses. In this make-believe world, Cunningham presents a nostalgic view of the past in which life is simple and elements of modern life are absent. His fascination with the past was in line with a larger national revival of interest in vernacular culture and American folk art in the 1920s and 1930s.

“Cunningham developed a distinct and personal lexicon that evoked his nostalgic version of an idyllic 19th-century world,” said Virginia Mecklenburg, senior curator for painting and sculpture at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and curator of Earl Cunningham’s America. “Recurring motifs—Seminoles, Viking ships, swamps and harbors—are the unlikely ingredients in Cunningham’s ideal model of America, which calls for coexistence, optimism, serenity and racial harmony. Like Norman Rockwell’s Saturday Evening Post magazine covers, Cunningham’s images offer the old and the ordinary as an antidote to change.”

Cunningham was born on a farm in Edgecomb, Maine, near Boothbay Harbor in 1893. He left home at 13 and supported himself as a tinker and a peddler. When he was 16, Cunningham, who lived in a fisherman’s shack on Stratton Island off Old Orchard Beach, began painting images of boats and farms on wood he scavenged. In the early 1910s, Cunningham sailed on one or more of the giant coastal schooners that carried cola, ice, naval stores and lumber between Maine, the Mid-Atlantic States and Florida.

Cunningham settled in St. Augustine in 1949, where he opened a curio shop called the Over Fork Gallery. He displayed his paintings there, although the works were not for sale. In 1969, collector Marilyn Mennello convinced Cunningham to sell her a work; and in 1970, she made possible an exhibition of selected paintings at the Loch Haven Art Center (now the Orlando Museum of Art). In 1974 Cunningham’s second museum exhibition, Earl Cunningham: American Primitive, opened at the Daytona Beach Museum of Art and Sciences.

Cunningham, who had suffered from depression and paranoia, committed suicide December 29, 1977. In 1998, the Mennello Museum of American Art, which is dedicated to displaying the majority of the artist’s work, opened in Orlando. Five years later, Cunningham was elected to the Florida Artists Hall of Fame.

The catalog, published by the Smithsonian American Art Museum and distributed by HarperCollings, is written by Victoria Mecklenburg, with essays by Wendell D. Garrett, senior vice president for American decorative arts at Sotheby’s in New York City; and Carolyn J. Weekley, the Juli Grainger Director of Museums at Colonial Williamsburg.

Earl Cunningham’s America is organized by the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The Exhibition is made possible by generous support from Darden Restaurants Foundation; the Elizabeth Morse Genius Foundation; the Arts and Cultural Affairs Office of Orange County, Fla.; CNL Financial Group; Bright House Networks; Lockheed Martin; and Friends of The Mennello Museum of American Art. The exhibition’s tour is supported in part by the C.F. Foundation, Atlanta.

Following the Fenimore’s presentation of Earl Cunningham’s America, the exhibit will travel to The Mennello Museum of American Art in Orlando, Fla. (March 6, 2009 – August 2, 2009) for its final venue on the national tour.

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of folk and American art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

###

For more information and images, please contact:
Christine Liggio/Public Relations Office
Fenimore Art Museum/ New York State Historical Association
Phone: (607) 547-1472/E-mail: c.liggio@nysha.org

Press Release Category: 
Exhibition Press Releases
Publication Date: 
March 2008
Site: 

Fenimore Art Museum Presents Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, a Major Traveling Exhibition

Press Release Contact: 

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y., April 1, 2008—The Fenimore Art Museum, Cooperstown, New York, is pleased to present Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, a major exhibition organized by the American Folk Art Museum, New York, that tells the story of a little-known aspect of American carousel history and its connection to Jewish visual culture. The exhibition will be on view May 24 through September 1, 2008 at the Fenimore Art Museum.

The exhibition traces, for the first time, the journey of Jewish woodcarvers and papercut artists from Eastern and Central Europe to America. Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses highlights the unsung role these artisans played in establishing a distinct Jewish culture in communities throughout the United States and provides a surprising revelation of the link that was forged between the immigrant Jewish woodcarvers and the American carousel industry. Many of the artisans who arrived in America between the 1880s and 1920s carved for their local synagogues; some also found work creating horses and other animals for the flourishing carousel industry. Inspired by the memory of symbolic references carved into majestic Torah arks and gravestones and cut into paper, they translated these motifs into an American idiom, elevating carousel art into a powerful sculptural expression of dynamic and animated forms.

The exhibition brings together extraordinary examples of majestic synagogue carvings—gilded lions, Decalogues, crowns and eagles as well as intricate papercuts—juxtaposed against dynamic carousel figures created for the great amusement parks of Coney Island and elsewhere. Featuring more than 100 artworks, drawn from private and public collections in the United States, Eastern Europe and Israel, the exhibition tells the story of this fascinating aspect of Jewish and American visual culture.

Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses was organized by Murray Zimiles, guest curator, and coordinated by Stacy C. Hollander, senior curator and director of exhibitions at the American Folk Art Museum.

Guest Curator Murray Zimiles is the author of the fully illustrated 192-page companion book, Gilded Lions And Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, co-published by the American Folk Art Museum with Brandeis University Press, an imprint of the University Press of New England. Zimiles is an artist and Kempner Distinguished Professor at SUNY Purchase, where he has taught drawing and printmaking since 1977. In addition, please visit the exhibition website at gildedlions.org, which was conceptualized by George Blumenthal and funded by The Center for Online Judaic Studies, Inc.

Major support for the exhibition and accompanying book was provided by Michael Steinhardt; Kekst and Company; the David Berg Foundation; the Blanche and Irving Laurie Foundation; the Smart Family Foundation; the Philip and Muriel Berman Foundation, Allentown, Pennsylvania; the Betty and John A. Levin Fund; the Robert Lehman Foundation; the Nathan Cummings Foundation; the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts; and the New York Council for the Humanities, a state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of folk and American art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

###

For more information and images, please contact:
Christine Liggio/Public Relations Office
Fenimore Art Museum/ New York State Historical Association
Phone: (607) 547-1472/E-mail: c.liggio@nysha.org

Press Release Category: 
Exhibition Press Releases
Publication Date: 
March 2008
Site: 

Fenimore Art Museum Presents Exhibition on Gustav Stickley’s Celebrated American Arts and Crafts Furniture

Press Release Contact: 

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y., March 18, 2008—The Fenimore Art Museum presents an exhibition on the furniture of celebrated turn-of-the-century designer and manufacturer and leading spokesman for the American Arts and Crafts Movement, Gustav Stickley. Opening April 1, Gustav Stickley: The Enlightened Home features 40 pieces of original Stickley furniture and decorative objects drawn from The Stickley Museum, Fayetteville, N.Y.; Dalton’s American Decorative Arts, Syracuse, N.Y.; The Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms, Morris Plains, N.J.; and private collections. The exhibition will be on view through August 10, 2008.

“The Stickley Museum and the craftspeople of L.& J.G. Stickley, Inc. are enthusiastic partners for the Fenimore Art Museum’s Gustav Stickley: The enlightened Home, an exhibition of revolutionary work from a man who changed American home life,” said Greg Vadney, Director of the Stickley Museum in Fayetteville, New York.

The exhibition explores Stickley’s well-designed and carefully crafted furniture within the context of his philosophical contribution to the American Arts and Crafts movement. Inspired by the ideas of British Arts and Crafts philosopher William Morris, who advocated a return to fine craftsmanship, honest design, and dignity of labor, Stickley generated his own “Craftsman” philosophy, which catapulted him to the forefront of the American Arts and Crafts movement. Rejecting the superfluous ornamentation characteristic of Victorian homes, Stickley championed functional homes whose beauty derived from simplicity and harmony.

Gustav Stickley: The Enlightened Home, which includes two period rooms, a 1904 living room and a 1907 dining room, highlights several pieces from Stickley’s rich body of work and illustrates how Stickley redefined the American home with his Arts and Crafts-inspired items. Stickley’s philosophy of building in harmony with the environment by using natural materials was fully realized in his home, Craftsman Farms in Morris Plains, New Jersey. His functional approach to design was a departure from the Victorian era’s dark and overly ornamental interiors. Stickley’s unornamented, clean-lined furniture was exemplified throughout the interior and exterior design of his home. While individual pieces of furniture used construction as decoration, embodied simplicity, and prioritized utility, these tenets were also implemented on a much grander scale within the home.

Gustav Stickley was born March 9, 1858 in Osceola, Wisconsin. First trained as a stonemason, Stickley preferred to work in wood and learned furniture making at his uncle’s chair factory in Lanesboro, Pennsylvania. Stickley formed the philosophy for his Craftsman-style furniture after encountering the British Arts & Crafts movement and meeting notable Arts and Crafts designers during trips to Europe in the late 1890s. Upon his return, Stickley founded United Crafts of Eastwood, New York and the Craftsman Workshops as well as began publishing The Craftsman, a periodical that expounded on the philosophy of the Arts and Crafts movement and its impact on the overall design aesthetic the home, from furniture and textiles, to decorative objects and gardening. Stickley and his family lived at Craftsman Farms until 1915, when he filed for bankruptcy after several years of financial hardship. Stickley also lived in Syracuse, New York, until his death on April 21, 1942.

Special thanks to Greg Vadney, director of the Stickley Museum, Fayetteville, N.Y.; David Rudd, proprietor of Dalton’s American Decorative Arts, Syracuse, N.Y.; and Heather Stivison, executive director of the Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms, Morris Plains, N.J. for their generous contributions to the exhibition.

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of American folk and fine art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

###

For more information and photographs, please contact:
Christine Liggio, Public Relations Office
Fenimore Art Museum & The Farmers’ Museum
P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, NY 13326
Tel: (607) 547-1472/E-mail: c.liggio@nysha.org

Press Release Category: 
Exhibition Press Releases
Publication Date: 
March 2008
Site: 

National Endowment for the Humanities' Picturing America Program to Feature Objects from Acclaimed Fenimore Collection

Press Release Contact: 

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y., MARCH 24, 2008—The Fenimore Art Museum, Cooperstown, New York, is pleased to announce that three objects from its renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection of American Indian Art—two ledger drawings by Chief Black Hawk and Beacon Lights, a Washoe basket by famed Native artist Louisa Keyser—have been selected to be a part of the National Endowment for the Humanities’ newest initiative of its We the People program, Picturing America, launched February 26 by President and Mrs. Bush at the White House.

Picturing America is an innovative program that enhances the teaching, study, and understanding of American history and culture by bringing some of America’s greatest works of art directly into school classrooms and public libraries nationwide. The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) carefully selected 40 masterpieces spanning centuries—all by American painters, sculptors, photographers, and architects—from collections across the country to help tell the story of our nation and culture in a fresh and engaging way. For this program, NEH will distribute large, high quality reproductions of the selected works, along with a teachers resource book, lesson plans, and materials, to K-12 schools and public libraries. Including the newly unveiled Web site, PicturingAmerica.neh.gov, Picturing America’s resources unlock the potential in each work of art to enhance the study of American history, social studies, language arts, literature, and civics.

“We are pleased to be a part of this far-reaching initiative to bring these wonderful works of art to young people across the nation. This is gratifying recognition of the quality of our collections and their significance in illuminating the stories of this land and its peoples,” said D. Stephen Elliott, President of the New York State Historical Association.

The Fenimore Art Museum’s Thaw Collection is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects representing a broad geographic range of North American Indian cultures, from the Northwest Coast, Eastern Woodlands, Plains, Southwest, Great Lakes, and Prairie regions. The collection serves as a resource for the research and appreciation of the aesthetic importance of North American art and represents a wide breadth of North American cultures. The three objects drawn from this collection which were selected for the Picturing America program are:

Beacon Lights, July 1,1904-September 6,1905, by Louisa Keyser or Dat So La Lee (ca. 1850-1925), Washoe. Carson City, Nevada—This work, made out of willow, western redbud, and bracken fern root, is the most historically significant basket of Keyser’s career and the one most widely referred to in publications on this famed Washoe weaver. Keyser’s mastery of the medium is revealed in the control of the extremely fine stitches of weaving and the elegant balance of her design as it moves over a constantly changing surface. Beacon Lights epitomizes Louisa Keyser’s greatest work in a 30-year patronage relationship with Abe and Amy Cohn, the owners of the Emporium Company in Carson City, Nevada. The Cohns documented her work as an artist, preserving a comprehensive history that is unparalleled in Native American art history.

Two ledger drawings from Chief Black Hawk’s (ca. 1832-ca.1889) drawing book, 1880-1881, Lakota (Sans Arcs Sioux), South Dakota— Chief Black Hawk’s handsome bound book of 76 drawings stands as the most complete visual record of 19th-century Sioux life in existence today. Recognized as one of the great Native American artists of the 19th century, Black Hawk’s book contains scenes of hunting, natural history, dance, ceremonial activities, and warfare.

The first drawing depicts men and women in Sioux dress during a social dance. Here, the artist has meticulously rendered the detail of clothing and adornment. In the second drawing, Chief Black Hawk depicts six men with typical Crow hairstyle dressed and painted for ceremony. Body painting was a way of ornamenting oneself for war or ceremony.

Public, private, parochial, and charter and home school consortia (K-12), as well as public libraries in the United States and its territories, are eligible to receive Picturing America materials. Interested schools and public libraries can apply through the NEH, with an application deadline of April 15, 2008, for receipt in the fall. Detailed instructions for submitting an application can be found in the ‘Apply Now’ section of the Picturing America Web site, PicturingAmerica.neh.gov.

About the National Endowment for the Humanities
The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) is an independent grant-making agency of the United States government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. NEH grants enrich classroom learning, create and preserve knowledge, and bring ideas to life through public television, radio, new technologies, exhibitions, and programs in libraries, museums, and other community places. Additional information about the National Endowment for the Humanities and its grant programs is available on the Internet at www.neh.gov.

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of American folk and fine art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

###

For more information and images, please contact:
Christine Liggio, Public Relations Manager
New York State Historical Association/Fenimore Art Museum
(607) 547-1472/E-mail: c.liggio@nysha.org

Press Release Category: 
Recent Announcements
Publication Date: 
March 2008
Site: 

Pages