Images from Fenimore Art Museum/New York State Historical Association and The Farmers’ Museum collection include fine art, folk art, photography, Native American Indian art and farm related objects. Images of objects in the collections are available for scholarly or commercial publication, personal reproduction or research. Photographic images must be requested through the Rights and Reproductions Department.
Images of a number of objects in the collections are available at the following websites:
Fenimore Art Museum and
The New York State Historical Association’s Collections:
The Farmers’ Museum’s Collections:
The following publications may also be helpful, most are available here:
- Folk Art's Many Faces : Portraits in the New York State Historical Association by Paul S. D'Ambrosio, Ph.D. and Charlotte M. Emans
- A Centennial Celebration : Collections from the New York State Historical Association by Gilbert T. Vincent, Paul S. D'Ambrosio, Ph.D., Sherry Brydon.
- Art of the North American Indians: The Thaw Collection (Edited by Gilbert T. Vincent, Sherry Brydon and Ralph T. Coe)
- Art of the American Indians: The Thaw Collection (supplement) Edited by Eva Fognell
- Through the Eyes of Others : African Americans and Identity in American Art by Gretchen Sullivan Sorin [and] Mary C. Aimonovitch
- The Smith & Telfer Collection Photographic Collection of the New York State Historical Association
GUIDELINES AND FEES
Color and black & white digital images on file are available in high or low resolution tiff or jpeg formats. Photographic services are also available, as well as standard and custom scanning. To find and request an image please follow the guidelines below.
- Select an image from the Museums on-line collections databases. You may also request a type or genre of image with the assistance of the Rights and Reproductions staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 547-1442.
- Complete the Permission and Use form for Rights and Reproductions.
- Request permission to use an image at email@example.com or by mailing your form to New York State Historical Association, Rights and Reproductions, 5798 State Highway 80, PO Box 800, Cooperstown, New York 13326.
- Please allow at least four-weeks from the date your request is made for processing. Rush services are available at an extra cost.
- All documents granting permission must be complete, and all fees must be paid before images are released.
If you have any questions or need additional information feel free to contact the Rights and Reproductions office at the above email, phone or mailing address. If you would like to view photographs from the NYSHA photographic collections, please make an appointment by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 547-1442.
Image credits: Picking Flowers by Samuel Miller in 1840-1850. N0255.1961. Eel Spearing on the Setauket by William Sidney Mount in 1845. N0395.1955. Carr-Todd Family Reunion, Toddsville, New York by Arthur J. Telfer in 1914. C 8-00572. Horse Mask by an unidentified creator in 1875-1900. Nez Perce, Idaho, USA. T0097.