Farm Unit Shed
Date: 1820 ca.
Origin: Westmoreland, Oneida County, NY
Info: This shed was first built and used as a driveshed for the families attending The First Congregational Church of Westmoreland. It has gone through many changes since becoming part of the Lippitt Farmstead. In its present incarnation it has three open bays with an attached horse stall and tack room. There is a number "7" above the third bay - indicating that it originally had seven bays.
Provenance: The Farmers' Museum acquired the Drive shed from Hampton Lodge #347 F & AM of Westmoreland, Oneida County, NY in 1953.
*Hampton Lodge #347 F & AM of Westmoreland, Oneida County, NY bought the property from The First Congregational Society of Westmoreland on August 1, 1946.
*Thomas Halbert, Eliphalett Bailey, John Wheeler, Samuel L. Chester, Nathan Crane, David Mansfield and Charles Doolittle; trustees of the First Religious Congregational Society and their successors in the town of Westmoreland purchased property from James and Elizabeth Leworthy for $600 on October 16, 1820. (In 1820, the church was moved to Main Street and the drive shed is thought to have been built there.)