Historic Structures - Corncrib
Origin: South New Berlin, Chenango County, NY
Original owner: Brooks, William, ?-1904
Info: Corncribs have been constructed and used since Colonial times for the drying and storage of feed corn. They became particularly popular with the rise of Indian corn as an animal feed during the mid-nineteenth century. The Brooks corncrib is of the style known as the Connecticut Corn Crib or the Connecticut Corn House, which was the predominant style in the Northeast throughout the nineteenth century. William Brooks ran a small operation, with only forty animals total in 1875. He did not produce a great deal of Indian corn. Therefore, the simplest corncrib with only one set of storage bins was adequate to serve his needs.
Provenance: The Farmers' Museum acquired the corncrib from Charlotte Spicer Layton.