Historic Structures - Filer's Corners School
Filer's Corners School
Origin: Morris, Otsego County, NY
Original owner: Thomas A. Filer/ District No. 9, Town of Butternuts (now Morris
Info: Filer's Corners School originally served children in Butternuts and later Morris. It was built for Thomas Alvah Filer, a teacher who moved to the Butternut Valley to open a boarding school. In Filer's day, the attached dorm rooms for the boarding students gave the building a much different appearance. Today the schoolhouse interprets schooling in rural New York.
Provenance: The Farmers' Museum acquired the school from the School District No. 9, Town of Morris, Otsego County in 1945.