Historic Structures - Seneca Log House
Seneca Log House
(Currently closed to the public - will reopen in 2011 at the new Native American Interpretive Area at the Fenimore Art Museum.)
Origin: Tonawanda Indian Reservation, Genesee County, NY
Original owner: Bailey, Nick/ Clute, Charles (?-1900)/ Clute, Elizabeth Fish (?-1925)/ Sundown, Phoebe Fish/ Whelan, Frank/ Whelan, Helen
Info: The Seneca Log House is a single-family log house typical for most reservation Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) families during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Adjacent to the house is a "Three Sisters Garden" with corn, beans, and squash. In a separate area, Indian tobacco varieties and sacred herbs are grown. Medicinal plants are grown in their natural environment in the surrounding woodlands.
Provenance: The Farmers' Museum purchased the building from Helen Whalen, Pittsford, NY in July of 1996.