The Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum seek a preparator to participate in organizing and executing all exhibitions. Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in organizing and executing temporary and permanent exhibitions at the museums, as well as traveling exhibitions coming to and originating from the museums;
- Install artifacts, graphics and supporting material;
- Fabricate or procure artifact mounts;
- Assist in the fabrication of in-house graphics;
- Light galleries;
- Move, retrofit, and pack shipping crates;
- Establish and implement a schedule for installation, de-installation and maintenance of exhibitions;
- Work with exhibitions planning team to identify potential exhibition topics and potential traveling exhibitions;
- Maintain inventories of all exhibit-related supplies, mounts and furniture;
- Travel to pick up and deliver artwork;
- Mat and frame photos and paper artwork; and
- Work with Cooperstown Graduate Program students, volunteers and outside guests.
This position requires considerable lifting, climbing, transporting of materials and working at heights of up to 24 feet. Good manual dexterity is essential. Qualified applicants must be able to lift/move a minimum of 50 lbs.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in a prominent cultural, arts or related organization;
- Basic shop skills including carpentry, metalworking, and painting;
- Organizational skills including long-range planning, scheduling and inventory control;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends;
- High school diploma or equivalent, with strong math and writing proficiency.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter and three professional references to Barbara Fischer, PO Box 800, Cooperstown, NY 13326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.