The Farmers’ Museum and Fenimore Art Museum have a joint opening for part-time Museum Teachers.
- Excellent hospitality and communication skills;
- A friendly attitude;
- An interest in working with students of all ages;
- An interest and ability to learn and deliver lesson plans and related information;
- The ability to work a flexible schedule;
- The ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds and to work in a variety of weather conditions;
- Past teaching experience and bachelor’s degree preferred.
Purpose of Job:
- To provide tours, workshops, and distance learning programs to school groups at all grade levels at The Farmers' Museum and Fenimore Art Museum.
- To provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of learners.
- To provide occasional programming for special events, family programs, and outreach programs.
- Attend scheduled training sessions and become comfortable teaching a variety of tours, workshops, and distance learning programs.
- Learn the knowledge and skills to be able to teach in both museums (primarily, but not restricted to, art and history).
- Greet, communicate with, and provide tours and workshops to school groups in a friendly manner.
- Work efficiently and courteously with supervisors, fellow employees, and Museum staff and volunteers.
- Maintain high standards of professionalism and conduct oneself in a manner which enhances the prestige and credibility of the organizations.
- Learn, understand, and adhere to staff policies including clothing, personal appearance, safety procedures, and scheduling.
- Other teaching or interpretive duties as needed or assigned.
Hours vary based on school group bookings, but are typically September through June, between 1–10 hours per week.
To Apply: Interested applicants may submit a resume and cover letter to Human Resources, New York State Historical Association, PO Box 800, Cooperstown NY 13326.