Fenimore Art Museum to Host Evening Lecture by Dr. Christopher Tadgell: Internationally Recognized Historian

Press Release Contact: 

Cooperstown, NY - Fenimore Art Museum is pleased to welcome back Dr. Christopher Tadgell, internationally recognized historian on architecture and gardens, for another enlightening evening lecture on Wednesday, August 26. This season, Dr. Tadgell will continue to discuss themes from his five book series, which describes and illustrates the most important architectural traditions of the world. Last year, the talk covered Ancient Rome, Islam and the East; this year, it moves into Western traditions and more modern styles and civilizations.

More than a simple catalog of buildings and places, Dr. Tadgell’s work provides the social, cultural, political, and economic contexts that truly bring the buildings—and the societies that created them—to life.

Dr. Tadgell is a graduate of the Courtauld Institute of Art in London. Most of his career has been spent as Senior Lecturer in Architectural History at the School of Architecture, Canterbury College, Kent Institute of Art and Design. He has lectured widely in Britain and the USA including Harvard University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Princeton University, and Brown University, among others. In 1985 he was Morgan Professor of Architectural Design at the University of Louisville, Kentucky. Since 1987 he has been a member of the Institute of Advanced Study in Princeton, NJ.

This lecture will take place on Wednesday, August 26, beginning at 6:00 pm in the auditorium at the Fenimore Art Museum.  The program is free and open to the public.  A reception will follow.  Reservations are not required.

###

About the Fenimore Art Museum
One of the nation’s premier art institutions, the Fenimore Art Museum is home to an exceptionally rich collection of American folk art and American Indian art as well as important holdings in American decorative arts, photography, and twentieth-century art. Founded in 1945 in Cooperstown, New York, the museum is part of the New York State Historical Association (NYSHA), founded in 1899. The museum’s renowned Eugene and Clare Thaw Collection, housed in the American Indian Wing, is a masterpiece collection of more than 800 art objects, representing a broad scope of North American cultures. The collections of American folk and fine art include seminal works by Grandma Moses, Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Cole, William Sidney Mount, and Benjamin West. The museum offers a range of interactive educational programming for children, families, and adults, including lectures and workshops for museum visitors and distance learning instruction for classrooms nationwide. The museum further explores and examines our cultural history by organizing and hosting nationally touring art and history exhibitions, including Grandma Moses: Grandmother to the Nation; Treasures from Olana: The Landscapes of Frederic Edwin Church; A Deaf Artist in Early America: The Worlds of John Brewster, Jr.; and Ralph Fasanella’s America.

The Fenimore Art Museum is located on 5798 State Hwy. 80, Lake Road, in Cooperstown. The museum’s Fenimore Café, overlooking beautiful Otsego Lake, features wonderful views and a tranquil setting amid the terraced gardens. The Museum Shop offers fine jewelry, art reproductions, and a wide selection of publications on folk art, history, and Native American art. Museum admission is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and NYSHA members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include The Farmers’ Museum and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. The museum is open from April 1 through December 31; closed January through March, except for special events and school groups. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org.

For more information or images, please contact:
Todd Kenyon, Public Relations
New York State Historical Association
Fenimore Art Museum/The Farmers’ Museum
Phone: (607) 547-1472 / E-mail: t.kenyon@nysha.org <mailto:t.kenyon@nysha.org>

Press Release Category: 
Program and Event Press Releases
Publication Date: 
August 2009
Site: