COOPERSTOWN, NY, July 27, 2007—On Saturday, August 4th, the Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum will host Firefighters’ Day, a special one-day event commemorating New York State’s resplendent firefighting history. In recognition and appreciation of our dedicated firefighters, the Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum will be offering complimentary admission to firefighters and their families from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. The general public is also welcome to visit the museums at regular admission prices and, as always, members of the New York State Historical Association are admitted at no cost.
The event commences with a welcoming ceremony recognizing County Fire Coordinators at 11:00 am followed by a host of firefighting related activities for families, including bucket brigades, fire hat decorating, and many more activities through 5:00 pm. The Fenimore’s circular drive will feature an impressive display of antique fire trucks from Cooperstown, Hartwick, and Milford, an 1860 hand pumper from Schoharie County, and a 1914 fire chief’s car from Mohawk Township. The Otsego County Safety Bus will be a special addition to the festivities offering educational and fun activities for children.
There will also be guided tours of the Fenimore Art Museum’s special exhibit, Folk Art On Fire, held at select times throughout the day. This exhibit features a remarkable display of antique firefighting memorabilia illustrating the rich firefighting culture of the 19th century. In the 19th century, fire companies were eager to celebrate their value to their communities by embellishing their everyday gear and ceremonial dress, and by commissioning noble portraits of firefighting heroes. In this exhibit, drawn from the collections of Robert and Katharine Booth, the Bucks County Historical Society, and the Fenimore Art Museum, viewers will see more than 70 decorative arts and objects including elaborately decorated hats, buckets, banners and clothing as well as paintings and firefighting equipment. The exhibition will be on view through December 30, 2007.
The Fenimore Art Museum and The Farmers’ Museum, two distinct institutions that together explore and present the diverse history, art, and culture of rural American life, are located across from each other on Lake Road, Route 80, in Cooperstown, NY. Admission to each museum is $11 for adults, $9.50 for visitors age 65 and over, and $5 for children age 7 to 12; children 6 and under and members are admitted free. Reduced price combination admission tickets that include both museums and The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum are also available. Fenimore Art Museum is open from April 1 through December 30; The Farmers’ Museum is open from April 1 through October 31, with special events throughout the year. For museum hours or general information, please call 1-888-547-1450 or visit www.fenimoreartmuseum.org and www.farmersmuseum.org.
For more information or images, please contact:
Christine Liggio/Public Relations Office
New York State Historical Association
Fenimore Art Museum/The Farmers’ Museum
Phone: (607) 547-1472/E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org